What I'll Miss

As we get closer and closer to the Big Day (August 28th is our estimated move date; it also happens to be our 8 year wedding anniversary), I'm starting to realize all the things I'm going to miss about our current home. Not the home itself, of course (we live in a rental duplex that John has hated from day one; note to self: never choose your future home when you're six months pregnant and in major nesting mode. Anything looks good at that point), but the area, and most importantly, the people.

I'm used to moving - I recently realized I've lived in ten houses in ten years. Yeesh - and I'm used to starting over in new places, but this time is different. I have this terrible feeling that I'm going to fall off the grid and be forgotten about, which isn't something I've ever really worried about before. Living in Russia shouldn't be that different from living anywhere else; I have the Internet to stay connected to all my friends and family, and even the blogosphere. But it's probably the first time we've ever moved anywhere where I literally won't know a single person besides John and Jack. And that scares the living daylights out of me.

And it's not just the area I'm going to miss. I'm going to miss the good ol' US of A - a lot. I've lived abroad (nine months in England, which some people would say hardly counts) and I know how much less convenient the rest of the world is. You can go ahead and knock our giant cars, fast food chains, six lane freeways, and mega stores, but I for one love being able to go to Target whenever I want and get everything I need, from clothing to shampoo to yogurt. I know I don't NEED to be able to find all those things in one place, but it sure is handy. Especially when you've got a toddler in tow.

But honestly, the thing I'm really going to miss is you guys, my friends and family members. I know I only see some of you once or twice a year at best, but knowing we're on the same continent helps. I don't expect anyone to come to Yekaterinburg, but perhaps we can meet somewhere in the middle. I hear Iceland is lovely.


Comments

Popular Posts