What I'm Up Against: Cyrillic

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Cyrillic, but it's a real humdinger of an alphabet, let me tell you. Some letters are so bizarre they don't even look real (that's right, I'm talking about YOU - Ж), others are the same as English (hello, cozy and familiar letter A), and some only look like English letters but actually have completely different sounds (B, H, P, C...we've got our work cut out for us). I keep wanting to read it right to left because the only thing I can compare it to is Hebrew, which I studied as a kid (I use the word "studied" loosely; how I got through my Bat Mitzvah is beyond me).

I'm hoping to know the alphabet and how to read at least a few things phonetically by the time my 14-week computer course begins in May. Time to whip out those flashcards! This website is actually kind of useful in explaining how to pronounce some of the sounds. And just in case some of you feel like challenging yourself today, here is the Cyrillic alphabet. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Oh my word. Better you than me, my friend - better you than me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts