Gearing Up

Since learning we'll be moving to Yekaterinburg, Russia, one month ago, I've been creating a mental checklist of everything we need to get before we head off into the great white north. So far, I've decided on one thing at least. This is the coat I will be buying:

Canada Goose Kensington Parka
Yes, this coat costs $700. Yes, it has real coyote fur on the hood. Do those things bug me? Of course. But the other day, when I was shivering at an outdoor barbecue in my coat, hat, and mittens, when it was 40-something degrees outside, I realized you can't put a price on being warm. Since the average daily temperature in Yekaterinburg is around 10 degrees Fahrenheit in January and February, I'm gonna need a good coat. Canada Goose also seems to take animal welfare and sustainability seriously, and the fur is there for a reason (to keep your face from getting frost bite).

Of course, finding a coat like that for a two-year-old is tricky. But I found the Land's End children's down coat on sale for $50 at Sears, and since Jack will probably only fit into his coat for one season, I went ahead and bought it. I think you'll agree he looks fetching in it.

He'll *probably* need a shirt in Russia...
John and I are also planning on buying a new car. We need something with four-wheel drive, so poor Clyde, our Volvo wagon, will have to go. We're pretty sure his replacement will be a Toyota, because you can get them repaired anywhere in the world. John has vetoed the car of choice for most FSOs (the Rav4) because he is a snob. He wants a 4Runner, which I think is too big. We're going to do some test driving this summer to see what we can agree on.

Finally, we received some photos of what will most likely be our home in roughly five months. It's a three-bedroom apartment, which means we'll have a spare room for all of you who are super eager to visit. You'll have to work out a schedule amongst yourselves, of course. The apartment is supposedly 1900 square feet, although it doesn't look nearly that large in the photos. It has two bathrooms, garage parking, AND it's across the street from the world famous Yekaterinburg zoo I told you about. Yay! We're very lucky that there is an IKEA outside of Yekat, so we'll probably buy some stuff when we get there. I've already got a box of clothing going for Jackie, and I got myself some sweet Sorel boots on sale from Free People. Thank goodness I like winter clothing!

Of course, this is all just speculation, folks, so if anyone out there has any suggestions, please help us out in the comments! Happy Friday everyone.

Comments

  1. I want to see pictures of the apartment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not allowed to post them :( But I'll show you on my phone the next time I see you!

      Delete
  2. Sounds wonderful! And I love the coat. I'm with you about the price of warmth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! I don't actually HAVE the coat yet. I'm steeling myself for the purchase :P

      Delete
  3. John is not a snob. He is an elitist, because he leads. I agree about the 4 Runner. The Rav 4 is too small. I also think 4 or 5 layers could do as well as a $700 coat!! I rarely wear a top coat in the dead of winter here in WA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boo, you're just a snob too. Yes, 4 or 5 layers could do as well as a $700 coat, but who wants to deal with 4 or 5 layers? Apparently I'm expected to wear cocktail dresses in the dead of winter, and just having to put a coat over it will make things a lot easier (and a lot less sweaty). After you come and visit in January, then you can judge me. :)

      Delete
  4. I am in love with your coat!! It's so pretty!

    And yeah. I think your son might need a shirt. ;) And so exciting to see pics of where you'll live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy! Yes, it IS a pretty coat (it better be for $700!). I wish I could share the apartment photos with everyone - I'm not sure what the rules are once I'm living there, but I wouldn't want to get anyone else in trouble, that's for sure. It's not exactly big on charm, but it has a washer and dryer and a second shower, so already we're doing pretty good!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts